Tuesday, November 16, 2010

On Assignment

Location: Little Egypt in Astoria, Queens. Restaurant: Kabab Cafe

When: 9/17/2010

Why: For one of Deena's classes she is reporting on the Egyptian community in Queens. She wanted to scope out the scene and eat somewhere there. I never say no to food, so Alyssa and I joined her.

Let's say it was an experience....Little Egypt is not for the faint of heart. You better roll up there with sky high self esteem otherwise you feel like you have toilet paper stuck on your shoes, food in your teeth, and your zipper down cuz EVERYONE will stare at you and make comments in Arabic. But I am kind of used to it since Indians have the same issues, but def. not to that extent. Or maybe since they are my people I am more understanding.

But once we passed every street hooka bar we found Kabab Cafe and had some amazing food.

I wish I could remember everything we ate but since it was 2 months ago, all that memory was erased so that I could fit info about the DNA polymerase into my brain. But I remember the warm hibiscus tea which was so different yet really refreshing, Deena said people usually drink it cold (its the red drink in the photos). I also remember really good falafel, hummus, pita, lamb with beef, chicken kebab with rice and yogurt. It was really good but we were more than surprised when we got that bill. But it's all about the experience and boy was it! Ali the chef got into a very heated argument with one of the patrons but w/e the food was good and the eclectic decor made up for it. I also love how he used fresh ingredients and prepared everything in front of us. The dessert must have been a failure since I have no recollection of it, maybe it was the food coma, but I think it was baklava and some weird honey cake.

Later we walked down the street, I learned the word Habibti and Deena bought us some konafa and baklava. We ate the konafa the next morning heated up and with some honey it was heavy but still really textural and yummy....i want some now : (


Ali the chef

No comments:

Post a Comment